Deploying a Sharepoint App to Sharepoint Online


This article is about how I was able to use the SharePoint Modules to successfully deploy an application to SharePoint Online.

I’ve used some scripting before to update items in Sharepoint.  This blog article is how I took the build that IOZ tools creates and deploy it to Sharepoint Online.

First I needed to start with downloading the latest copy of SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline.

I discovered while using this module that there is the capability to add a PSDrive to my session.  This means I should be able to upload files to sharepoint as if it were a drive on my local machine.  Here is how you connect to sharpeoint online:

PS> Install-Module -Name SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline
$adminpassword = 'password'
$adminUserName = 'mysharepoint@onmicrosoft.com'
$creds = $AdminPassword | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force
$SPdevcredentials = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $AdminUserName, $creds
connect-pnponline -Url $url -Credentials $SPdevcredentials -CreateDrive

Now that I have a connection to the SharePoint online instance I can see that I have a new powershell drive through the get-psdrive cmdlet:
get-psdrive

2017-01-10-07_33_05-clipboard

As you can see I have a new drive that is configured for use in my session, directorying the SPO: drive will get the contents of the SharePoint Site:

2017-01-10-07_49_31

My Applications are in my AppCatalog folder to get to that folder all I need to do is issue a CD to that directory.   To upload my App to this folder all I need to do is add it with Add-pnpFile.

2017-01-10 07_56_30.png

I seemed to have the best success when I used Get-Item (gi) and then used the fullname property for the file that I was sending to SharePoint. In addition one other gotcha was that the folder to upload to is a subfolder of the site you are connected to. In my case \sites\apps was my site I was connected to so specifying appcatalog was all I needed.

Now all that I needed to do was to put this in a script that  I could call from my CI automation and put some Error logic.  Now I have a full fledged script called deployspapp.ps1.   Full Source is found on my Gist:

param
(
[String]
[Parameter(Mandatory)]
$SourceFolder,
[String]
$Destination ,
[string]
$AdminUserName,
[string]
$AdminPassword
)
$creds = $AdminPassword | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force
$SPdevcredentials = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $AdminUserName, $creds
#invoke-webrequest -uri $url -Credential $SPdevcredentials
if($MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path)
{
$scriptpath = $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path
$d = Split-Path $scriptpath
write-output -InputObject "Script Directory -->$D"
pushd
cd $d
import-module .\SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline -DisableNameChecking -Force
popd
}
else{import-module .\SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline -DisableNameChecking -Force}
$u = $null
$isurl = [system.uri]::TryCreate($Destination,[system.urikind]::RelativeOrAbsolute,[ref]$u)
if(($U.Scheme -eq 'http' ) -or ($u.Scheme -eq 'https'))
{
if(get-command connect-pnponline -erroraction ignore)
{
$url = $u.AbsoluteUri
do #for($i = 1; $i -le $u.Segments.count; $i++)
{
try
{
connect-pnponline -Url $url -Credentials $SPdevcredentials -CreateDrive -ErrorAction Ignore
}
catch
{
"Error was $_"
$line = $_.InvocationInfo.ScriptLineNumber
"Error was in Line $line"
}
$i++
$url = $U.AbsoluteUri -replace (($u.segments | select -last $i ) -join ''), ''
}While((-not (get-psdrive -name spo -ErrorAction Ignore)) -and ($i -ne $u.segments.count) )
if(Get-PSDrive -Name spo -ErrorAction Ignore)
{
Write-Output "Drives = $((Get-PSDrive).name -join ',')"
Write-Output "Site root = $((get-pnpsite).url)"
if ($sourcefolder.EndsWith('\')){$sourcefolder = $sourcefolder.trimend('\')}
$apps= Get-ChildItem -Path "$SourceFolder"
Write-Output "Application to Deploy Filename: $($apps.fullname)"
foreach($app in $apps)
{
pushd
cd ($app ).directory
Add-PnPFile -Path $app.fullname -Folder ($Destination -replace (get-pnpsite).url, '')
write-output "uploaded $($app.fullname) to $destination"
popd
}
}
else
{ Throw "Cannot Connect to Sharepoint Online - $destination check username / password / url"}
}
}
else
{
throw "$destination url must be an http or https address"
}

view raw
deployspapp.ps1
hosted with ❤ by GitHub

I hope this helped someone

Until then keep scripting

Thom

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s